Who Is Covered by the FLSA?
Nearly every worker in Ohio is covered by the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. State law follows the FLSA almost exactly, so the provisions of this federal statute apply to anyone who is employed by any organization that does business across state lines, serves people who travel across state lines, and makes even a single business-related phone call across state lines, along with individuals who work for businesses that make over a certain amount of money per year. Various amendments and court cases have made it clear that the FLSA covers child care workers, house cleaners, and individuals who do jobs that appear to be several steps away from anything that would normally be described as interstate commerce.
Practically universal coverage under the FLSA provides important protections to Ohio workers. The law requires employers to do all of the following:
- Pay a state-mandated minimum wage,
- Pay overtime to qualified employees who work more than 40 hours in a single week,
- Keep accurate records on the hours employees work and what employees get paid, and
- Comply with federal and state laws regarding the employment of children.
Ensuring an employer complies with its legal obligations under the law often requires seeking advice and representation from an FLSA lawyer in Columbus, Ohio. This is especially true when it comes to paying minimum wages and overtime to employees who take tips.
Here are a few highlights of what being covered by the FLSA means in Ohio.
- During 2018, employers must pay a minimum wage of $8.30/hour to employees who do not receive tips and a minimum wage of $4.15/hour to tipped employees.
- The 40-hour pay for tipped employees must average at least $8.30/hour, or $332/week.
- Most workers who receive salaries must also average at least $455/week even if they receive commissions on sales.
- Minimum wage laws get very complicated for home health care workers, freelancers, and contractors. Speaking with a Columbus, Ohio-based Fair Labor Standards Act attorney will clarify compliance issues for employers and workers.
- Most salaried workers and individuals who supervise other employees do not qualify for overtime. Neither do professionals such as journalists, lawyers, and consultants even if they charge by the hour.
- The rules for qualifying for overtime are subject to change, but during 2018, an employer was required to pay overtime to employees who got paid by the hour and had no managerial or supervisory responsibilities.
- The hour and pay records kept by employers must be fully up to date, completely accurate, and available for inspection by state and federal officials.
- Information on employee rights under FLSA must be clearly communicated to workers. Putting up a poster with wage, hour, and other facts can suffice to meet this requirement, but employers must also honestly answer any questions from workers.
- In Ohio, it is generally illegal to employ a child younger than 14. Family owned restaurants and farms can receive exemptions from this rule.
- Also, in Ohio, a parent or guardian must authorize paid work by a child younger than 18.
The employment attorneys in the Columbus offices of The Friedmann Firm work with employees on FLSA issues. Call us with your questions at 614.610.9755 or connect with us online to request a free and confidential consultation.
- Columbus FMLA lawyers
- Columbus hostile work environment attorney
- discrimination attorney Columbus Ohio
- Employment Contract Lawyers
- employment lawyers Columbus
- hostile work environment attorney Columbus Ohio
- Hostile Work Environment EEOC
- Intermittent Leave of Absence
- Intermittent Leave Under the FMLA
- lawyers that handle wrongful termination Columbus
- Ohio employment attorney
- Pregnancy discrimination lawyer
- Unpaid Overtime lawyer Columbus Ohio
- workplace discrimination lawyer Columbus
- wrongful termination attorneys Columbus Ohio
Rachel was absolutely amazing. As an attorney she really took the time to really listen to my concerns. She was honest and kept me informed every step of the way. The outcome was favorable on my behalf and I appreciate her efforts to achieve a good outcome. I would highly recommend her and the Friedmann firm to represent me if ever needed in future.
Working with Rachel Sabo from Friedmann Firm was absolutely amazing! She upholds integrity, honesty and without a doubt fights for what is right! Rachel was extremely transparent and real! Please don’t let wrong be right, Rachel will strive to advocate and put her whole heart in obtaining resolve in your situation! What an absolute blessing, she won my case in less than 1 week💪
My experience with the Friedmann Firm is an absolute 5 stars. From my very first call with Karen, to all of my communication with Rachel, everything exceeded all of my expectations. Rachel and Karen were so caring and understanding in a very sensitive situation. They responded immediately to any questions or concerns I had. I would HIGHLY recommend the Friedmann Firm. They are caring, professional, understanding, and I would trust them with any issue I have in the future.
Rachel and the Friedmann Firm were fantastic to work with. The thought of needing an employment lawyer was scary for me, it was confusing and complex. But Rachel listened, asked questions and took time to really understand me and my priorities. I felt calm, supported and excited for the first time in weeks after talking to her!! We worked together to review everything, set expectations and meet my priorities! Thanks Rachel and team for all your work!!!
Rachel Friedmann of the Friedman Firm was my attorney for a very recent legal matter. I would highly recommend Rachel based on her legal knowledge, her honest appraisal of the matter and expected outcomes, her open communication and timely responses to my questions and the matter itself, and her steadfastness in dealing with the opposing counsel until a final agreement was reached.
Rachel and her staff went over and above the call of duty to help me achieve fiscal resolution to my legal issue. She wasn’t always available to talk but was always responsive via text and email when in court out of the office and even on vacation. I feel she earned her percentage cut.
Couldn’t be happier with the representation I received from Jamie Bailey on my civil litigation case. She worked tirelessly to resolve the case and in the end negotiated a fair settlement on my behalf. I would highly recommend her to anyone! Thanks for everything Friedman law firm.
Friedman Firm was a great help in a difficult time in my life. They went above and beyond to get me back on track. Rachel was so good to work with and is extremely knowledgeable about the law and employment rights. Can't thank them enough for all there hard work. Highly recommend them to anyone.
The Friedmann Firm (specifically Pete Friedmann) represented me through what seemed like a never ending employment discrimination suit. The suit was filed just before Covid shut everything down in 2020. Add to that a former employer who refused to admit fault. In spite of all of that, Pete stood resolute in his representation of me and working for the best outcome for me. We ended up settling prior to trial and I was more than satisfied with the results. Pete was always available to answer questions and reassure me throughout this process. I highly recommend The Friedmann Firm!
Pete Friedmann and his firm are fantastic. He represented me for more than a year going through a suit with a previous employer. He walked me through every step of the process and was always quick to respond to any questions I had. My settlement came in and we parted ways with both sides being pleased with the outcome. I highly recommend the Friedmann firm and wouldn’t hesitate to use them again in the future if the need arose. Thank you, Pete!
Rachel and the Friedmann Firm have been amazing to work with. Rachel was very helpful, listened to our concerns and took our case. She communicated well throughout and really worked for us. We were very well represented!
I loved working with The Friedmann Firm. Rachel and Jamie are exceptional lawyers and were diligent in reviewing my case and letting me know of my options. Jamie was extremely thorough and handled even the smallest details of my case with ease. The entire process was seamless and they were always quick to respond to emails and calls. I would definitely recommend working with The Friedmann Firm.
I would recommend Rachel Sabo Friedmann and the Friedmann firm for severance negotiations. Rachel was always available and responsive and made an effort to ensure I was updated on every step of the process. Her diligent efforts produced a prompt resolution and we are very happy with the results!