What To Do If an Employer Refuses To Pay You In Ohio?

Jun 27, 2023
By admin
What To Do If an Employer Refuses To Pay You

As an employee, you expect to be paid fairly and on time for your work. Unfortunately, there can be situations where your employer refuses to pay you.

Sometimes the employer’s failure to pay you can be explained by a clerical error or mistake.. But if the situation is more than a mistake, there are steps you can take.

Can an Employer Withhold a Paycheck for Any Reason in Ohio?

May your employer withhold a paycheck for any reason in Ohio? The answer is “no.” Employers are not allowed to withhold paychecks from employees. Federal and state laws require an employer to pay employees for all hours that they work.

In Ohio Revised Code Section 4113.15, Ohio law lays out the timeline for when employers must pay their employees. For work performed in the first half of a month, the employer must pay the employees by the first day of the following month at the latest. For work performed in the second half of a month, the employer must pay the employee by the 15th day of the next month at the latest.

The only situation where an employer may be allowed to not provide wages within the semimonthly time frame as described in Section 4113.15, is when an employer is afforded a time lapse “by written contract or by operation of law.”

What To Do If An Employer Refuses To Pay You in Ohio

If your employer refuses to pay you in Ohio, even after you have spoken to them about it, you will want to start keeping a record as soon as possible. Things to record include:

  • Communication between you and your employer about their refusal to pay
  • Pay stubs
  • A copy of any employment contract that details your salary/hourly wage
  • Personal records of hours you have worked

The Fair Labor Standards Act, which is a federal law, requires employers to pay employees at least the minimum wage for all hours worked. With that in mind, you have the right to pursue legal action against your employer if they are refusing to pay you.

How to File A Complaint Against An Employer For Non Payment

The Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor handles all complaints that are filed by employees who are covered by the FLSA. You can file a complaint both online or at the Wage and Hour office closest to you.

Before filing a complaint, speaking with an experienced employment lawyer in Columbus, Ohio may benefit you.

Can I Call The Police if My Employer Doesn’t Pay Me?

As we’ve discussed above, you have a few different options to consider when it comes to your employer refusing to pay you. Calling the police if they do not pay you is not one of those options.

An employer refusing to pay you is not really a criminal matter. You can reach out to an employment lawyer for assistance in filing a complaint to help ensure that you receive your owed wages.

Further Questions? Speak With an Employment Lawyer in Columbus, Ohio

If you have further questions about what actions you can take against an employer that has refused to pay you, we recommend reaching out to an employment lawyer in Columbus, Ohio today. An experienced employment lawyer will be able to answer your questions and guide you through the process of recovering your unpaid wages.

With experience in handling claims and a wide variety of employment law cases, the attorneys at The Friedmann Firm are here to help hold employers accountable for not paying their employees properly.

If you believe you have a case, you can give us a call at 440-703-8550 or connect with us online today to schedule a free and confidential consultation.