Can I Sue My Employer for Emotional Distress in Ohio?

Oct 15, 2019
By Peter Friedmann

You do have the legal right to hold your employer for inflicting emotional distress or for failing to stop managers and coworkers from causing emotional distress. However, you will only be able to secure compensation for emotional distress if you can also prove that you suffered from harassment, discrimination or retaliation.  The emotional distress must be a consequence of that discrimination, harassment, retaliation or illegal termination in order for you to request damages related to it. What Are My Legal Options if I’m in a Hostile Work Environment in Ohio?

Understanding Emotional Distress

Emotional distress is triggered by a physical or emotional trauma, and it manifests in many ways. A person who suffers emotional distress may experience any or all of the following symptoms:

  • Anxiety,
  • Fear,
  • Insomnia,
  • Guilt,
  • Shame,
  • Depression, and
  • Self-harm.

Events that occur in the workplace that can inflict emotional distress include sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation.

How to Address Emotional Distress Damages With Your Employer in

An employer has legal duty to protect each employee from harm. An employer is also responsible for ensuring that all employees comply with the law.

If a lawsuit is filed and includes claims for discrimination, retaliation or sexual harassment, the employee can often request emotional distress damages if they have actually suffered emotional distress as a result of the incident.  Visiting a psychologist or therapist bolsters the claim for emotional distress.  It is important to note that emotional distress damages can only be awarded by a jury.

If you are considering bringing an employment lawsuit involving emotional distress claims in Ohio, consider reaching out to The Friedmann Firm for a free and confidential consultation. Based in Columbus, we advise and represent workers throughout the state, and we take appointments online. To speak with a employment lawyer directly, call 614..610.9755.