COMMON OVERTIME VIOLATIONS: MISCLASSIFICATION
Generally, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) says that an employee who works over 40 hours in a workweek is entitled to overtime pay for all hours worked over 40 hours. Typically, overtime compensation under the FLSA is to be paid at time and one-half of the employee’s hourly rate. If the employee is not paid overtime pay for all hours worked over 40 hours in a workweek, he or she may be entitled to recover that overtime pay, along with liquidated damages (doubling the amount owed to the employee) and attorney fees.
The Fair Labor Standards Act provides protection for non-exempt employees who do not receive the correct amount of overtime pay. However, there are several exemptions to the FLSA. Exemptions apply to those people who are NOT protected by the overtime provisions of the FLSA and are therefore NOT entitled to overtime pay for all hours worked over 40 hours in a workweek. For example, professional employees are exempt from the FLSA are are not entitled to overtime pay. Other examples are administrative employees and certain computer employees. For information on other exemptions, visit the Department of Labor.
The FLSA is complex and confusing for employers and employees alike. Because of this, employers often misclassify employees as “exempt” when they truly are not. Employers also classify employees as independent contractors when they are actually non-exempt employees. Misclassification results in denial of overtime pay.
What is misclassification?
- If you are “misclassified” as an exempt employee or an independent contractor, you may be entitled to a significant amount of overtime pay.
- Employees who are classified as “non-exempt” pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act are entitled to overtime pay for all hours worked over 40 hours per workweek.
- Employees who are “exempt” are NOT entitled to overtime pay. Independent contractors, who are not employees, are not entitled to overtime pay because they are not protected by the FLSA. The FLSA only protects non-exempt employees of an organization.
- Therefore, if you are “misclassified” as an exempt (usually salaried) employee or an independent contractor, but are actually a non-exempt employee entitled to overtime pay, our Columbus, Ohio overtime lawyers can help you.
Your job title does not dictate whether you are entitled to overtime pay. This is a common mistake employers make so it is important for you, the employee, to really pay attention to your job duties, not your job title. Your job duties dictate whether you should be paid overtime.
What if I am paid a salary and not on an hourly basis?
- This is a very common mistake employers make as well. Just because you are paid a salary, it does not mean you are being paid correctly. You may still be misclassified.
- In some situations, being paid a salary can mean you are not entitled to overtime. For instance, professionals (doctors, attorneys, etc) usually make a salary and are exempt from overtime. Certain executives who make over a certain salary are exempt from overtime. However, your job duties determine whether you are exempt from overtime, not solely your job title or the fact that you are paid a salary.
- If you have questions about whether your job duties classy you as an exempt employee, contact one of our Ohio overtime pay lawyers for help.
Take a good look at the job duties you are performing. If you think you may be entitled to overtime pay, contact us and we can help.
- Columbus FMLA lawyers
- Columbus hostile work environment attorney
- discrimination attorney Columbus Ohio
- Employment Contract Lawyers
- employment lawyers Columbus
- hostile work environment attorney Columbus Ohio
- Hostile Work Environment EEOC
- Intermittent Leave of Absence
- Intermittent Leave Under the FMLA
- lawyers that handle wrongful termination Columbus
- Ohio employment attorney
- Pregnancy discrimination lawyer
- Unpaid Overtime lawyer Columbus Ohio
- workplace discrimination lawyer Columbus
- wrongful termination attorneys Columbus Ohio
Rachel was absolutely amazing. As an attorney she really took the time to really listen to my concerns. She was honest and kept me informed every step of the way. The outcome was favorable on my behalf and I appreciate her efforts to achieve a good outcome. I would highly recommend her and the Friedmann firm to represent me if ever needed in future.
Working with Rachel Sabo from Friedmann Firm was absolutely amazing! She upholds integrity, honesty and without a doubt fights for what is right! Rachel was extremely transparent and real! Please don’t let wrong be right, Rachel will strive to advocate and put her whole heart in obtaining resolve in your situation! What an absolute blessing, she won my case in less than 1 week💪
My experience with the Friedmann Firm is an absolute 5 stars. From my very first call with Karen, to all of my communication with Rachel, everything exceeded all of my expectations. Rachel and Karen were so caring and understanding in a very sensitive situation. They responded immediately to any questions or concerns I had. I would HIGHLY recommend the Friedmann Firm. They are caring, professional, understanding, and I would trust them with any issue I have in the future.
Rachel and the Friedmann Firm were fantastic to work with. The thought of needing an employment lawyer was scary for me, it was confusing and complex. But Rachel listened, asked questions and took time to really understand me and my priorities. I felt calm, supported and excited for the first time in weeks after talking to her!! We worked together to review everything, set expectations and meet my priorities! Thanks Rachel and team for all your work!!!
Rachel Friedmann of the Friedman Firm was my attorney for a very recent legal matter. I would highly recommend Rachel based on her legal knowledge, her honest appraisal of the matter and expected outcomes, her open communication and timely responses to my questions and the matter itself, and her steadfastness in dealing with the opposing counsel until a final agreement was reached.
Rachel and her staff went over and above the call of duty to help me achieve fiscal resolution to my legal issue. She wasn’t always available to talk but was always responsive via text and email when in court out of the office and even on vacation. I feel she earned her percentage cut.
Couldn’t be happier with the representation I received from Jamie Bailey on my civil litigation case. She worked tirelessly to resolve the case and in the end negotiated a fair settlement on my behalf. I would highly recommend her to anyone! Thanks for everything Friedman law firm.
Friedman Firm was a great help in a difficult time in my life. They went above and beyond to get me back on track. Rachel was so good to work with and is extremely knowledgeable about the law and employment rights. Can't thank them enough for all there hard work. Highly recommend them to anyone.
The Friedmann Firm (specifically Pete Friedmann) represented me through what seemed like a never ending employment discrimination suit. The suit was filed just before Covid shut everything down in 2020. Add to that a former employer who refused to admit fault. In spite of all of that, Pete stood resolute in his representation of me and working for the best outcome for me. We ended up settling prior to trial and I was more than satisfied with the results. Pete was always available to answer questions and reassure me throughout this process. I highly recommend The Friedmann Firm!
Pete Friedmann and his firm are fantastic. He represented me for more than a year going through a suit with a previous employer. He walked me through every step of the process and was always quick to respond to any questions I had. My settlement came in and we parted ways with both sides being pleased with the outcome. I highly recommend the Friedmann firm and wouldn’t hesitate to use them again in the future if the need arose. Thank you, Pete!
Rachel and the Friedmann Firm have been amazing to work with. Rachel was very helpful, listened to our concerns and took our case. She communicated well throughout and really worked for us. We were very well represented!
I loved working with The Friedmann Firm. Rachel and Jamie are exceptional lawyers and were diligent in reviewing my case and letting me know of my options. Jamie was extremely thorough and handled even the smallest details of my case with ease. The entire process was seamless and they were always quick to respond to emails and calls. I would definitely recommend working with The Friedmann Firm.
I would recommend Rachel Sabo Friedmann and the Friedmann firm for severance negotiations. Rachel was always available and responsive and made an effort to ensure I was updated on every step of the process. Her diligent efforts produced a prompt resolution and we are very happy with the results!